Important information about the England Athletics Affiliation and Registration Scheme
Affiliation and registration fee details for 2017-18 (the next affiliation year) have been decided following the 2016 England Athletics consultation.
This year England Athletics has once again held a series of club conferences and an online consultation survey to identify the views of stakeholders in the sport on a range of issues. A key issue on which we sought the views of the sport was England Athletics’ athlete registration scheme.
Once again the events saw a number of people expressing the view that the cost of individual athlete registration should rise as there is a desire for England Athletics to maintain and enhance its current level of service, particularly as the nature of future Sport England funding for the period from 2017 onwards is unknown.
A total of 2,214 respondents completed the online consultation. This included a question where respondents were offered five choices on athlete registration fees for the period 2017-2021. These were:
- A one-off increase of £4 in 2017 and no further increase
- Two increases of £2 – one in 2017 and another in 2019
- A £2 increase in 2017 followed by a further review
- An increase of £1 every year through to 2021
Fees to remain the same for 2017/18
The responses to this question were as follows:
- A one-off increase of £4 in 2017 and no further increase – 17.1%
- Two increases of £2 – one in 2017 and another in 2019 – 13.7%
- A £2 increase in 2017 followed by a further review – 14.3%
- An increase of £1 every year through to 2021 – 31.6%
Fees to remain the same for 2017/18 – 23.2%
As a result of the findings, the Board of England Athletics has taken the decision to:
Set the athlete registration fee at £14 which is a £1 increase for the 2017/18 Affiliation Year (which starts 1 April 2017).
Maintain the club affiliation fee for 2017/18 at £100 per club.
Further decisions on athlete registration and club affiliation fees beyond the 2017/18 affiliation year will be made once Sport England funding decisions for that period have been made and announced.
We would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to feed in their views through the consultation process whether through one of the meetings or the online consultation.
We are also very grateful for the valuable contribution made by members of our nine Regional Councils and National Council throughout this year’s consultation process. More information on the consultation held this year and previously can be found at www.englandathletics.org/consultation, including details of England Athletics’ finances and expenditure.
England Athletics are always pleased to hear the views and feedback of people within the sport. Please see www.englandathletics.org/my-area and your local ‘About us’ section for details of staff and Regional Councillors where you are.
- More information for athletes on athlete registration is available at www.englandathletics.org/athlete-registration
- Club volunteers involved in membership can find more details on club affiliation and athlete registration at www.englandathletics.org/athletics-clubs/club-affiliation