England Athletics Marathon championships
This Sunday sees thousands of runners taking to the streets of London for the Virgin Money London Marathon. The event also incorporates the England Athletics Marathon championships for both individual and team medals for men and women. In addition there are selection opportunities to compete for England in Canada later this year. We wish everyone taking part the best of luck!
- Individuals are allowed to wear any vest under IAAF rules in the individual championships. Registered athletes do not have to wear a club vest to be eligible for the England Athletics Marathon individual Championship.
- Athletes must be English and registered with England Athletics (or their home country association) to be eligible to compete in the England Athletics Championships.
The top fastest three times by a registered athlete fulfilling these requirements will take the podium positions.
- Team scoring for the England Athletics Men’s and Women's Championship races will be based on the cumulative times for their first three runners.
- Team athletes will only be accepted for the Team competition and eligible to score for their club if they are registered with England Athletics
- Foreign athletes must be registered as such by their English club to be eligible for team awards
- Any athletes wishing to be eligible for a team award MUST be wearing the vest of their First Claim UK affiliated club (UKA Rule 17.2).
- Men’s team athletes will only be accepted for the Team competition and eligible to score for their club if they are registered with England Athletics and listed as an Elite athlete or on the entry list as a Championship entry on the London Marathon entry system on the day of competition.
Women’s team athletes will only be accepted for the Team competition and eligible to score for their club if they are registered with England Athletics and on the entry list as a Championship entry on the London Marathon entry system on the day of competition (elite start athletes not included due to different start time).
Selection to represent England Athletics at Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon in Canada
The Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon is an IAAF Gold Label race and an England Athletics team has competed in the event for the past few years. England Teams will be selected based on performances at the England Athletics Marathon Championships and a maximum of three men and three women may be selected.
- To be considered for selection, athletes must be eligible to compete for England (i.e. full British passport holder) and have achieved a relevant England Athletics standard within the qualification period (1 January 2016 and midnight 23 April 2017)
- The first two eligible athletes at the England Marathon Championships will be automatically selected for this event in the men's event. The women's team will be selected based on the two races available at the Virgin London Marathon and will be based on fastest times. The top two fastest times in either the elite race or the championship event will be selected.
- Should either of the first two eligible qualifiers not wish to take up their place then the next eligible athlete competing at the England Marathon Championships will be selected.