Information about the Inspiration Programme including Team Personal Best
What is the Inspiration Programme?
The Inspiration Programme is a series of projects focused on harnessing the impact of hosting the IPC World Para Athletics Championships and the IAAF World Championships for the benefit of grassroots athletics. England Athletics are responsible for leading the domestic work and are committed to support our member clubs this exciting but challenging period.
How can I/we get involved in Team Personal Best?
Easy! Do something, anything at all in your club, group or community to celebrate Summer of World Athletics. Then register it on TeamPersonalBest.org either as a private event or open to the public.
What support is out there?
There are a range of ways to access support around the Inspiration Programme including online resources, funding for certain projects and advise. Check out www.TeamPersonalBest.org or get in touch below.
How can I/we get involved in the Primary Schools Giveaway?
Building on the success of the England Athletics and partners, we have created a pack of Primary School Athletics Resource packs complete with lesson plans, ideas for sports day and loads of other teacher advice and support on a handy IOS app. It’s free to access. Just register at http://londonathletics.org/schools2017 and you will be sent login instructions within 72 hours.
How can I/we get involved in #17MinutesForMe?
#17MinutesForMe is a pioneering 8-week campaign that encourages participants to take the time for 17 minutes of physical activity three times a week during the World Para Athletics Championships and the IAAF World Championships taking place in London in July and August. Head to 17minutesforme.com and sign up to receive emails packed full of exciting content and activities beginning on the 3rd July.
Who should I talk to if I have more questions about the Inspiration Programme?
Team Personal Best Coordinator – Lucy Broad firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer Manager – Kerry Marland – email@example.com
Disability Manager – Helen Newbury – firstname.lastname@example.org
Officials Development Officer – Nikki English – email@example.com
In London, we have extra support over the summer, please contact any of our Inspiration Officer;
Lynne Atkinson – firstname.lastname@example.org
Christina Oyebanji – email@example.com
Julia Bailey – firstname.lastname@example.org
For any other queries or to talk more about Inspiration please contact Jane Stewart, Head of Inspiration Programme email@example.com
Can you tell me a bit more about the different areas of work?
The Team Personal Best website is now LIVE! www.teampersonalbest.org. We are inviting clubs, partners and community to hold a athletics or running themed every this summer. We will be working closely with BBC Get Inspired to promote community athletics activity throughout the Championships.
England Athletics are delivering a series of workshops in London to help partners in our network to capitalise on increased interest in the city. Resources will be made available to the wider athletics network.
In addition the Mayor of London have committed £400,000 to supporting clubs and community organisations throughout the summer. Applications have now closed and we are looking forward to sharing the successful projects later this summer.
England Athletics have been awards £950,000 over 3 years by Spirit of 2012. Focused on improving the wellbeing and satisfaction of volunteer in our sport and brining more people into the athletics and running community specifically to volunteer; This programme is an exciting opportunity to create material change:
- There is a programme of youth volunteer partnerships, first wave applications are now open please visit to find out more www.englandathletics.org/england-athletics-news/new-funding-opportunity-for-clubs-to-involve-young-volunteers
- Another key element will be the creation of a dedicated network of people in clubs supporting volunteers. These role holders, who will be volunteers themselves will have access to cutting edge support and training.
- England Athletics will deliver a programme of campaigns and learning to improve the recruitment rewards and recognition of all our dedicated volunteers.
There are 3 key elements to the work around inclusion and disability. These are
- A network of Inspiration Clubs supported to develop their expertise in offering great experiences to disabled people and empowered to support other clubs locally. These clubs will also offer introduction to Para Athletics days as part of Team Personal Best.
- In July EA will host over 150 change makers who are dedicated to improving inclusion in their athletics communities. Held at the Olympic Park, this event will share the latest approaches and allow the group to develop their ideas.
- During July and August there will be an opportunity for everyone to get involved with our mental health challenge. With more information to follow in June this project will be a fun and accessible way of participating in athletics and running whilst highlighting the impact of physical activity on mental wellbeing.
London 2017 have produced a resource pack, Starting Blocks which is available to access here - https://www.schools.london2017athletics.com/
In June 2017, England Athletics will make a primary school resource available throughout the country to enable primary school teachers and PE leads to deliver high quality athletics sessions and festivals outside the curriculum time.
UK Athletics and UK Sport are working hard to deliver two programmes of change internationally as part of the 2017 Inspiration Programme. Women In World Athletics is in it’s fifth year. Each year UK Athletics have hosted seminars for influential women in the sport from across the globe.
Leadership and Excellence in Athletics Programme (LEAP) is the second programme making up the international strand. Over 3 years 10 countries across the world have developed youth leaders and trainers to deliver athletics to hard to reach communities.
Has the Summer of World Athletics inspired you to get involved in athletics and running community?
- Check out any existing available tickets for the summer here http://www.london2017athletics.com/news/65324
- You can also found out about tickets for other prestige athletics events here http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/britishathletics
- Next March Birmingham will host the IAAF World Indoor Athletics Championships to find out more information click here https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-indoor-championships
Applications for volunteering at the IPC Para Athletics Championships and IAAF World Championships are now closed.
If you have been inspired to volunteer please register at www.englandathletics.org/clubs--community/volunteers/i-want-to-volunteer
To find out more on the different roles and opportunities visit out volunteer page.
This summer Team Personal Best is bringing together the grassroots athletics and running community to offer everyone a chance to get involved. To find activities in your area please visit www.TeamPersonalBest.org.
RunTogether.co.uk has thousands of opportunities up and down the country for new and aspiring runners. Find your local running group today.
England Athletics clubs have been providing opportunities in their communities for anyone wanting to try the sport. To find your local club here - /athletics-clubs/find-an-athletics-club